Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wanderlust

“Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you've never been to, perhaps more homesick than for familiar ground.” 

The World is on my mind. It's been on my mind for a while now, but it's now the main thing on my mind. I want to travel. I actually just want to take off, and travel for as long as possible. I don't want to care about finances or about petty concerns. I want to explore my head off, until I can't possibly explore any more. And mostly, I want to enjoy the adventures that come my way. 

I was telling a friend the other day that I don't see the point of being afraid of the unknown. When something or some place is unknown, our general reaction is to fear it. It's a foreign thing. It's something you don't understand or haven't witnessed. Of course, it's human nature. But it's so easy to build fear up about something - in fact, that's how we have so many irrational fears (clowns and rats still count by the way, and are GENUINE FEARS). 

I think if you have that fear inside you, it stops you from doing so much with yourself (I don't go to circuses and I don't really jump on the train platforms. So I'm not missing much in life with my fears) and your life. Why limit yourself? And why not immerse yourself in to different situations? I think it leads to a richer existence. 

So having said that - I have a bad case of Wanderlust (a strong desire to travel). At this point in time, I am ready to jet off just about anywhere I've not been to yet and enjoy my time exploring and being disconnected from the world I know. Perhaps we all reach this stage sometimes, some more than others - but I've been feeling this for ages. The only difference is this time, I'm going to make it happen. I'm going to make these adventures happen, and I am going to start soon. I think I've waited long enough. 

So guys, I'm making a vow - I'm going to travel from this year onwards. I'm going to start seeing the world, one place at a time, and I'm going to do this without any negativity. And I'm also not going to be a tourist. Because I dislike tourists in their "lost" looks and their inability to absorb the place they are in. I'm going to be a traveller. 

Now I wish this vow sounded like "guys, I'm taking off tomorrow, and will be travelling the world. I don't know when I'll be back, but I will keep you updated with my travels and adventures".. A part of me has to remain responsible. But at least I'm going to start somewhere. Although one day soon, I suspect I will take off and just end up somewhere. 

More to come on this, I promise (and by that I mean - finalisations of actual active travel plans).

This year, will not go to waste.



No comments: